Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS) and Generator Batteries Maintenance
Storage, Filling and Commissioning
Batteries should be stored in a cool, dry place, protected from the floor by a wooden pallet, and stacked no more than five high.
- Before filling, check for exterior damage.
- Remove protective polythene cover and take out vent plugs.
- Fill cells to the “MAX” line or to 15 mm above tops of plates with pure accumulator acid, having a specific gravity of 1280 at 20°C (68°F). Battery and acid temperature should be above 10°C (50°F).
- Allow the battery to stand for 15 minutes, then agitate slightly to cause any pockets or bubbles of gas to rise to the surface of the electrolyte, after a further 5 minutes adjust acid level as above, if necessary.
- Replace vent caps.
- Allow battery to stand for at least a further 15 minutes, then test with a hydrometer and heavy duty discharge tester.
Search – Knowledge Base