Why run a generator regularly on 100% building load? – Power Continuity
unning your generator on 100% building load provides the following benefits:
- Gives you confidence in your power protection system. Reassurance that it will be able to support your entire operations 24/7 whenever you need it to.
- Prevents wet stacking.
- The building load is sufficient to make the generator run at temperature with heavy load.
- Wet stacking consists of unburnt fuel residue.
- This accumulates on the exhaust side of the turbo and into the exhaust system.
- If left unchecked, this can cause irreversible damage to the diesel engine.
However, we recommend running the generator on building load at least 4 hours a year. Many businesses do a monthly onload test. Resulting in the entire system being tested 12 times a year even so it is still recommended that at least one of the onload tests involves letting the generator run for a minimum of 2 hours, rather than the typical 15 minutes.
Search – Knowledge Base